Monday, May 13, 2013

The measure of a man...


This post is inspired by my husband. After being married to him for 6 years, I have learned a very important lesson.


The true measure of a man is not what he won't take but what he will take. How many times have you heard a man say "I'm a man and I'm not going to take this!" and wear it as a badge of honor?


I have heard this many many times, heck I have heard men and women say what they would not take, and with great pride mean it. I never gave it much thought and I never saw this as a credit to the person venting. After all being big and bad is not such a great thing in my book.


What I have seen in my husband over the years, has made me come to the reality that being able to "take stuff off of people" and still walk in peace and love is far more impressive. Seeing my husband deal with issues and take them in stride commands respect far more than being "big, bad and not taking any stuff".


My husband has taken far more than any man I know of, to the point where I wanted to smack some folks myself (not wearing this as a badge of honor either) and he would just say something to the effect that "people won't change who I am."


I have tried on many occasions to suggest to him ways to handle situations and get people straight, "stand your ground" I would say. He would just leave it in God's hands and walk in humility. In this, I began to see strength, a strength that I had not seen in a man before, at least not personally.


Now I understand that being able to take a hit is far more important than throwing one. If we would all stay humble on our knees, perhaps the hits thrown at us would be caught mid air by the hand of God. 


With this confidence a man or a woman can take anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment