Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Nanticoke Museum in Delaware


Visiting the Nanticoke Museum was very special to me and a necessity for my children. During my early adult life I learned that my father's family as well as myself are descendants of the Nanticoke Indians. Many years ago my father took me to this museum and you can't imagine the delight I felt to take my children years later.


There are so many stereotypes about Indians on tv and now I had the opportunity to dispel the myths. I only hope I can keep this post to a minimum because we learned so much from our tour guide, which happened to be my fathers cousin's cousin. Are you confused? No worries so am I...


She was full of history and knowledge. I wish I had a tape recorder to remember all that we learned on this day.


Many of the Nanticoke Indians still live in or near Millsboro in Delaware today. On our tour, we learned that the Nanticoke like many other Indians lived off of the land. They used animals for food and their fur for clothing, rugs and instruments. Instead of horses they used dogs to pull heavy items for them, they did not have horses. We learned that not all Indians lived in teepee's, the Nanticoke's lived in wigwams. They grew their vegetables and planted according to the seasons. They were very much in tuned with nature. Did you know lacrosse originated from the Indians?  


More can be explained by the pictures below. Delaware is truly rich in Indian culture.











They all decided to make faces...


This was our tour guide Morning Star. She is my father's cousin's cousin. My cousin too??


Shoes and purses handmade by the Nanticoke's



Handmade platters and baskets, they were beautiful.




The Nanticokes used these instruments and writings to communicate, especially during war.



Morning Star is showing us what they used for money.




Arrow heads for weapons.




Hand made instruments made from animal skins




Jewelry and beads, my daughter loved these.






 

Reading a book about the little Nanticoke girl who loved horses in the museum library.



There is more to come in my next post, come back and visit.

Here is a link to find the museum as well as other information about Nanticoke Indians.

www.nanticokeindians.org/museum.cfm   

No comments:

Post a Comment