Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Opposites attract?

Is it really true that opposites attract and like cells repel?  Perhaps. My husband and I are classic examples. In so many ways we are different and sometimes it drives me nuts while at other times it makes me better.

Here are some examples of our differences:

He's an extrovert and I'm an introvert.

He's an early riser and I'm nocturnal.

He's fun loving and I'm serious.

He's fast paced and I'm steady.

He's dramatic excitable and I'm mellow.


You get the picture don't you? I find this, opposites attract theory, to be pretty common among couples these days. So how do we make it work? I can sum it up in one word. Balance. You see, too much of anything is not always good.

My husband and I balance each other out. He has helped me to reach out more because he's an extrovert. By doing this I have made great new friends and I have seen my own personality blossom. I help him to slow down because I am steady. This has helped him make well thought out decisions and really examine a matter before rendering a quick yes or no. 

I normally prefer to stay up and work late since I'm nocturnal by nature which also means I like to sleep a little late. My husband loves to get up at the crack of dawn before the roosters crow. At first this was too much because I pack his lunch and see him off to work in the mornings. Now I have learned to make this work for me by reading, praying and writing as soon as he leaves. This allows me to plan my day and have some peace before the riot I mean children awaken.

I could go on and on about the great things that can happen when opposites balance each other out. Most importantly time, practice and respect allows this to occur. Trying to change anyone to make them more like another is hopeless but respecting the differences can be promising.

I recently read a book to the children called "Beautiful Blackbird" by Ashley Bryan. My favorite phrase was "just remember, whatever I do, I'll be me and you'll be you" how fitting. 


everyday talk for everyday women...  



No comments:

Post a Comment