Saturday, April 27, 2013

A blog of thanksgiving


Tonight as I sit here and write a little after 11 pm, I am so very thankful that my 5 year old daughter is still alive. This evening was one of the most scariest days of my life.

It was a normal evening, my husband ran to the store and the children were watching a video while I was working in my room. Grant it we live in a rambler so I can hear everything that goes on. All of a sudden I hear this strange coughing sound, not like any other, more like a choking sound. So I listened, I heard it again and I got up. As I was exiting my room, my 5 year old was coming towards me literally choking. I asked if she could speak as I approached her and she could not, she could no longer even cough, she was gasping for air and panicking.

Of course this scared me as I realized she really was choking. I began to hit her back and do all the things I remembered from CPR/first aid class years ago, while trying not to panic because my husband was gone.

Nothing was working and I watched as my daughter began to turn blue, then dark blue and then almost purple. All I could do was continue to try to dislodge whatever was in her throat, I thought she was going to die when I saw how dark she looked, I just prayed and called on Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. I could feel panic rising up in me but I kept saying Jesus.

Nothing came out of her throat but all of a sudden she said "I need water!" and her color was coming back and now she was coughing again. She spoke and my heart started beating again. I gave her a little water and she was fine.

I asked what she had swallowed. She showed me the yogurt lid made of the foil type substance, she tried to peel it back with her teeth. The part she broke off went down her throat and got stuck.

Of course I will not be buying this type with the aluminum lid ever again and we all had a talk about getting help when we need to open things and not using our teeth.

I never remember feeling so helpless as I thought my daughter was fading away. God was with us and I am so thankful for His grace and mercy. I am so thankful she is sleeping soundly and safely in her bed tonight. I'm so thankful she is alive.

After the ordeal, I was literally shaking, and breathing as if I ran up 20 flights of steps. I had to sit down and process what happened. I could not believe what I just saw, but for the grace of God there might have been a different outcome.

This Saturday, I have so much to be thankful for. God was with us, and I thank Him.


Tonight as everyone slept, I got down on my hands and knees and cried tears of thanksgiving that I was able to tuck my baby to sleep tonight. As a matter of fact, I cried, I cried like a baby. Even as I write this I am crying tears of joy because He heard my cry and He rescued us. May God bless and keep you all safe in His care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment