Monday, March 17, 2014

Flower power!

Hello to all! It's been way too long since I posted last. I think I'm still catching up with life. My little ones found this science project fun and interesting. I loved it because it was very simple and pretty cheap. It's amazing what you can find on YouTube!

So we purchased some white or cream colored roses and some food coloring. I used recycled jars, they always come in handy for science. Can you guess what we did with this stuff? See the pictures below!





Four roses and four jars



 
Add food coloring to each jar
 


 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
Gradually the flowers changed the color of the water


The children enjoyed this experiment and looked forward to checking the flowers as they changed colors. By seeing this simple project they understand that flowers drink from the stems in order to stay alive. They also understand specifically that the flowers drink from the bottom of the stem where it is cut. This is why the flower changed the same color as the colored water. Hmm, proves the theory, you are what you drink? 

Everyday talk...

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment