Saturday, March 29, 2014

Bead for Life

This is a follow up to my post about the lovely tea I attended last week. As I mentioned before I actually won a prize which was very exciting! What was even more exciting was the gift itself and what it represented.


The beautiful beaded bracelet was a perfect fit and it was made in Uganda, Africa. After I got home I did some research and learned some things about the bracelet and the women who make them. First off, the beads are hand made one by one with recycled newspaper. How cool is that? It must require a lot of patience to hand roll such tiny pieces of paper one at a time.


The process of making these beads and the jewelry interests me because my little girl makes jewelry using beads. I introduced her to beading months ago and she really loves it. She has made pretty pieces and given them as gifts. The time we make jewelry together is our mommy time and she loves to be creative.


The women in Uganda, for the most part are poor and making beaded jewelry is one of the ways they make a living and dig themselves out of poverty. Through beading they put their children through school (school is not free in Uganda) and put food on the table. These women are to be admired, which is why I'm blogging about them. They bead for and with a purpose. 


This whole experience about beading has caused me to create a study around Uganda, Africa for next school year. I brought a nice big map of Africa and laminated it for our African studies but was not sure where to start but now I am focused. 


There are many ways to help support the women in Uganda through purchasing beads as well as beaded jewelry. I hope to host a "party with a purpose" in the very near future. In the meantime I'm spreading the word through blogging and sharing. After all, the jewelry is just gorgeous and there is so much to choose from as well as there is a purpose for wearing it!



This is the beautiful bracelet I won!



Please check out their website by clicking the link below.

www.BeadforLife.org

Let me know what you think and by all means help spread the word!

everyday talk....   

No comments:

Post a Comment